Monday, May 24, 2010

Franks Trailer Works Is Awesome


J-Channel, or as some like to call it, C-Channel, is one of those things that you will need to replace if you're restoring an Airstream. There is no way around it. Sure, some of your sections will be salvagable. Most will simply need to be replaced. I'm at the point in my restoration where I need to do just that. My curved piece was (thankfully) in good shape, but all of my straight sections had deteriorated to the point that there was just no saving them.

I was talking to Frank at Frank's Trailer Works ( http://www.frankstrailerworks.com/ ) about the situation, and he said to send him the dimensions of what I needed. I sent the dimensions on a Thursday, and Monday morning I had a package delivered with a Frank's Trailer Works return address.

Tonight I pulled out some of my old pieces of J-Channel. I wanted to get a few images of what the originals looked like for posterity. Not good.


Now I'm all set to get these things fitted to the trailer and start riveting the exterior skin back into place. Frank, you saved me the headache of buying the tools and materials to make these myself. Thanks a million, my friend.



3 comments:

Frank Yensan said...

you are most welcome, it was my pleasure.

Brad Norgaard said...

There's Frank's Airstream spirit showing again. Nicely done - good form.

Aluminium Idler said...

You say J we say C, we say tomaaaarto, you say tom-ay-toe... but lets not call the whole thing off !

Great sectional work Frank (be it C or J, or L). And good to see another trailer getting the foundation she needs.

Chris