Saturday, June 5, 2010

Send Vulkem and Kleckos

Today I finished the street side belly pan curves and still had some daylight, so I decided to get working on the furnace hole cover. Since I'm not going to be re-installing a furnace, I needed to cover the hole where the furnace vent was. I used the original trim pieces and a piece of .040 aluminum to plug the hole. To this I will mounting the original furnace chimney for an original look. I'm not one who goes for non-functional decoration (you won't find spinner hub caps or under body neon lighting on any of my cars), but I think this is a better option than just riveting a new piece of sheet aluminum over the hole and hoping it's not very noticable.

I would have had this piece all riveted together and the furnace chimney mounted today, but I'm all out of Vulkem, that magic caulk which will seal the cover to the hole and still be pliable and working in another 50 years when the next guy takes my trailer apart. I could use a few more kleckos, too. Mine are all being used right now. Hey, Father's Day is coming up....maybe I should start leaving hints around the house.

5 comments:

nmbosa said...

John, you've been moving along lately. It's looking good.

Jason said...

Hi! My name is Jason. I am working on my own airstream project a 1962 Overlander. I was looking to see how others have done it and your blog has already been very helpful. I was wondering if I might be able to ask you a couple questions over the phone. I am just starting to rip out my floor and I saw that you took of the under panels to get at the bolts underneath and I just have no idea where to begin on that. If you would give me a call I would really appreciate it my number is 562.715.0934. If not thanks anyway for all the detailed pictures and descriptions they are all very helpful!

Ginga Squid said...

I've just read all your posts from the very start - I'm totally inspired! Now there is just the problem (i.e. cost) of shipping one to New Zealand....

Anonymous said...

Hey,
Found your blog today. Wow!!!! I read the entire thing instead of watching MNFB!

It's been two years since your last post! Did you finish? What happened??

William

John Kwasnik said...


William,
Missing football to read my blog is probably the best comment I have ever received. No, the trailer is not finished. The past two summers have been consumed with working on my house rather than the Airstream. Painting the house, building a new porch, re-roofing a shed, and a few other things have takien away almost all of my free time. Not to mention working 50 hours a week and having 3 teenage boys and a sweet little 6 year old girl. I have gotten back to work on the trailer, though. Last weekend I was on the roof digging old sealant out from around the vents and re-sealing them with Acryl-R. It's time to start posting on my blog again. Thanks for the inspiration.