Monday, May 12, 2008

Getting back at it

It's been 2 months since my last blog entry. I have all of the normal excuses; other projects to wrap up, home repairs, spring cleaning, little league games and practices to attend, too many work hours, etc. Well, most of that is done and I can now focus on the trailer again. Here's a picture of the Airstream peaking out from behind the shop, wondering where I am.
I got the black tank out and took the closet flange off. Like most things, what should have been a simple job turned into a real job. The flange was held onto the tank with pounds of JB Weld. I spent one evening chipping most of that off so that I could unscrew the flange from the tank.
I was very careful about not damaging the black tank, at it appeared to be in good shape. However, once I got all the JB Weld off, I found some serious damage to the area where the flange screws in. I guess now I know why the PO used JB Weld. I'm looking into having a stainless black tank built by the welder that Rob Baker uses. I'm going to try and use the philosophy of "fix it once, fix it forever" on this project, so a nice stainless tank makes sense.
Anybody need a closet flange?

1 comment:

Frank Yensan said...

the other half of the flange is laying in the bottom of the tank. Just reach in and fish it out so you can re use it