Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A tip from Frank

I spoke to my guru, Frank (from Handmade Trailer Company), tonight for some guidance in my trailer restoration. He gave me a tip that will aid tremendously in using the old floor for the template when I cut the plywood for the new floor. I screwed a piece of plywood onto the old floor right above where I will be making a cut with my circular saw. I then spray painted all the way around it, making sure to get the top of the board, the sides of the board, and also on the old floor that's still in the trailer. When this dries, I will take the plywood off, make my cut, and will then have a way to orient the template back to it's original shape. This way I will not have to worry about the thickness that was taken away by the thickness of the saw blade. The paint will allow me to get everything lined back up when I trace my new flooring for cutting.
Rear trim removed and rivets drilled. Getting ready to take off the rest of the belly pan so I can get to work on the frame.

3 comments:

the byamcaravanner said...

Hey John,

I take it...you are going to remove that "red strip" and cut the existing floor down the middle to facilitate removal...then use the "red strip" to acurately reassmble the floor to use as a template. Your Guru is also a genius.

Good to see you are making some progress. We need to see you and your family at a rally in the not too distant future:-)

John Kwasnik said...

Steve,
That's the plan. I'm going to replace all of the wood from the galley back, so I'll do this with each piece that I have to cut to get out. Her maiden voyage is going to be to Rob's installation rally in October. I hope. I'll have to have the frame repaired and the new floor installed before she can roll, but I think I can do it.

Frank Yensan said...

John, beware of false prophets....