Monday, July 28, 2008

UPDATE!

I've sort of stalled on my trailer project lately. Too much work, too many trips to the beach, too many basketball games in the driveway with the kids, and too many "honey do's" have taken their toll. I still need to finish the last bit of welding on the frame, but the weather has not cooperated at all. It's been raining a lot, and I don't want to take my welder out of the shop and get it wet. I will have a window of time to work on it tomorrow, so hopefully I'll be sliding the new floor in soon.

I looked up some pictures of my old 1986 32 footer for inspiration. I love the vintage units so much more than the one I had. It was more like an apartment with fine wood, lots of plastic, and just a general feeling of cheesiness to it. I'm into things that are utilitarian. Tools. Cars with rubber floors rather than carpet. Old land Rovers that you can clean out with a hose. Things like that. My vintage trailer will be nice, but it will be utilitarian. Something I can take the family to the wilderness with and not have to worry about. It will have rod lockers for fishing poles. It will have an area for a cooler to keep bait. It will not have carpeting, and it will not feel like 5th Avenue on Wheels (sorry about that , Wally). Self contained, off the grid, base for exploration. It will get used, get dirty, and be loved. More like a Super Cub on bush wheels and less like a Lear jet. And like a Super Cub, it will be coveted by my children. Unlike the Lear, which is most times just turned back in at the end of the lease. Unloved.

1 comment:

utee94 said...

I like your idea of making it a Super Cub rather than a Lear. Can't wait to see your finished product so that I, too, can covet your rig! :)

-Marcus