Sunday, July 13, 2008

The Vintage Trailer Jam

My boys and I headed to Saratoga last Saturday to check out the Vintage Trailer Jam. What an awesome spectacle! Seeing all the old trailers got me that much more fired up to get my own finished. The best part was finally meeting in person all of the people I have gotten to know on line in the Airstream community. The reason I took time out from a family vacation and drove 2 hours, though, was to meet Frank Yensan in person and get a close up look at Anna. Frank, along with Rob Baker, have fueled my passion for vintage trailers and been a guiding light in my restoration. Frank even brought my c-channel up from Baltimore for me. What a guy. Check out the picture of me and The Man. As Sheriff Beuford T. Justice once said "You sounded a bit taller on radio".
Chatting up the ladies. Frank too time out from baking pies and entertaining me to answer this gracious older woman's questions.
My boys, watching a man cook for the first time in the lives. They're wondering if baking power and baking soda are interchangable, too.
As I walked around the field looking at all the beautiful rigs, what struck me was the number of young families and kids that were camping. I got a feel of why I got back into Airstreams with a vintage unit this time. It's all about fun. There was no regimentation that I saw, no "bull pen", nobody in a suit and tie. Just kids running all over the place, strollers galore, friends hanging out, pies being baked, and even an inflatable kiddie pool being blown up. It was a really cool vibe and I can't wait until I can park with these guys and join the fun. I will definately have my trailer ready for Rob's installation rally come October.

1 comment:

Frank Yensan said...

A)Tall enough to fill my boots....
B)... that little old lady was a trailer and Airstream virgin. It was her first time for both and I had the honor of being her first on both accounts. Good will ambassador so to speak.
C) Don't screw your boys up and lead them to believe that only women cook. I know it was how it was when we were children, but times have changed. A woman is impressed with your ability to take them to a resturant, but if you cook that same meal yourself for them,.... you know what comes after that. Oh, that is right, you don't... you don't cook.