Monday, September 15, 2008

Banana Time

We got the banana wraps on this weekend. I will be replacing them with some nicer aluminum, but at least the trailer can again be towed, and I learned a ton about how to put this part together. I'm thinking about buying a rivet shaver when I take the wraps back off, though. When I drilled the rivets out the first time, some of the holes were deformed. They're ok now, but I don't want to drill again and deform them more. This is Josh, or Klecko Joe, fighting the mosquitos and 99% humidity we had Saturday night. It started pouring rain right after this picture was taken. Klecko Joe went inside to watch TV. I stayed out and kept working in the rain.
The only piece I could not salvage from the original wraps was the one over the rear cross member. If you saw what the original rear cross member looked like, it's not really a surprise. I had a piece of belly pan material left over from some work I did on my 86, and it with some trimming it fit just right.
Of course, the piece I saved was actually 2 pieces put together, so It's got a big ol' line across it. Another reason that I'll be replacing these with new material in the future.
Rivets all bucked and screwed to the underside. Now I have a bone to pick with everybody that has done this in the past and recorded it in their blog: Why didn't you tell me that the belt-line trim piece is attached by these same rivets? OK, it's my fault, I known. I should have realized when I was filling all those holes with rivets that I would be needing some of them to stay empty until I riveted the trim back on. I'll be chiseling rivets (unless I get that rivet shaver) so I can install the trim. Two steps forward, one step back.
This is Jacob, my middle son. Josh has been my primary helper so far, but I think I burned him out yesterday. Literally. It was 88 degrees yesterday, and we were in full sun. Jake was more than willing to step in and help out. He manned the bucking bar, and helped me get the skins all attached. Good work, Jake! I couldn't have done it without you!

2 comments:

Jaime said...

Great job so far and good idea using the kids! I will be doing more of that myself as I get into bucking rivets. 2 quick questions if you don't mind. 1) What rivet gun did you get? and accessories? I need to purchase one and I'm very confused as to what I really need to buy. 2) Are your rear brake lights leds? I need to repace mine and was curious where yours were from. They look like the kind from Andy at Inland Rv
Thanks!
J

John Kwasnik said...

Jaimie,
I borrowed Frank Yensan's rivet gun, so I really don't know what brand, type, etc it is. Frank set it up, used it on his trailer, then gave it to me to use. I still have it, so I'll check it out and get you whatever info I can find.
Those tailights are the stock 1961 tailights. I've bought replacement lenses, but have yet to install them. I may go LED, as my inner skins are off and I can install pretty much anything I want.