Friday, September 5, 2008

Making a Part

This little bugger ties the floors to the frame along the edge of the Airstream. It provides a little bit more "meat" than the aluminum c-channel alone. There are two of them in the rear portion of the trailer, but I lost one somewhere when I was taking everything apart so I had to make another one. Sound familiar Frank?
Of course, nothing is ever simple. I had a piece of angle iron laying around the shop, but it was about 1/2 inch too long and 1/2 inch too tall. As I was too cheap and lazy to go to the hardware store for the size I needed, I decided to cut what I had down to the proper size. First, I cut it to match the length of the original. Then I cut 1/2 inch off each flat with my angle grinder with a cutting wheel. No sparks got into my eyes, but I did get a nice hot spark in my ear. Not in the canal, thankfully. I need to be more fastidious in my use of protection. Eyes, ears, face, and feet. Keep 'em covered.
OK, cut down to the correct size. I next had to mark where I would drill. Sure would be easier if I had a set of transfer punches. It's next on my list, right after a new welder.
Once the holes were marked I drilled. Sure would be easier with a set of drills that weren't dull as a butter knife. New drills are next on my list. Right after, well, you know.
Since I don't have any of the sticky mastic stuff that Airstream used to keep the steel away from aluminum to prevent electrolytic corrosion, I sprayed the parts with rubberized autobody undercoating. It should work great if it keeps it's elasticity once it dries. If it dries hard, I'll have to go to an autobody supply house and find some of that sticky gray stuff.

4 comments:

Frank Yensan said...

I swept one up in a cleaning fit....

Rob & Zoe' Baker said...

Looking good John... only 4 more weeks to the Rally.

Rob

Frank Yensan said...

and I also said,... "so I assume the plumbing and tanks are all taken care of too?" You must have accidentally deleted that part along with my STRONG encouragement to take care of that stuff before you put the floor in. Right? Don't take me for a fool John. Three people know what you are doing, You, God, and me. You cannot fool any of us;

John Kwasnik said...

Wally, Helen, and PeeWee made it across the dark continent without holding tanks. In fact it wasn't until after Wally's death that Airstream added a gray water tank.

Maybe you need to spend some time on SaveWally.org?