Friday, September 5, 2008

A Good Day to Work

What a wonderful day I had today. 85 degrees, kids in school, daughter and wife taking a nap, and me with my Airstream. I backed the Land Rover up to the trailer so I could listen to Opie and Anthony on XM while I worked, and I was able to get a good bit done.
I was lucky and my rear piece of c-channel was in good shape when I took it out, so I was able to get it lined up with the original rivet holes and clecko it into place. I've got a few more bolts to put in around the perimeter of the floor that will go through the c-channel, and this allows me to make sure I will have everything in the right position when I bolt it all back together. I'll be using most of the c-channel that Frank Yensan made for me, as most of the rest of the original channel is pretty much gone. Once the c-channel is all installed and bolted down, I'll be placing an order to Airparts for some sheet aluminum and begin riveting the structure all back together. I should be on the road by Rob Baker's installation rally in October.
The rubberized coating stayed pretty flexable, so I went ahead and installed the L-brackets. The more I work on my trailer, the more I enjoy it. It's thrilling getting things back together, and I'm in a zone right now, thinking about how I will do this and how I will do that. It's an absolute joy for me to be outside or in my shop, working with my hands and building something that my family and I will be able to enjoy in the, hopefully, not too distant future.

2 comments:

Frank Yensan said...

John, It sounds like you are on the uphill side now. So you got the tank situation square and the plumbing too? Thought so.

John Kwasnik said...

Yup. Got the 21 gallon tank. It's blue. And on wheels. You'll love the simplicity of the setup.