Thursday, September 11, 2008

Full Day

Today, I was able to get almost a full day in on the trailer. I left work at 10:00am, worked until 1:00 when I had to go see a house with my mother-in-law, then got back at it until dinner at around 5:00. Since my helpers were all in school, I used Gorilla Tape to hold the c-channel bolts from underneath. It worked great, and with a pneumatic ratchet I was able to tighten them right down from above. I used a plop of Vulkem underneath each screw and washer to help prevent corrosion.
My banana wraps are in fair shape. By that I mean they are not in very good shape, but they are re-useable. I decided to give them a shot and see what it looks like. Those clekos holding the panel in place are the best invention in the history of mankind.
Once school let out I recruited this little bucker to give me a hand. We got on a roll, and after a few rivets it was like we'd been doing it for years. Bucking rivets is much easier than I had anticipated. Thanks a million to Frank Yensan for lending me the rivet gun and rivets. Frank is the unofficial ambassador for vintage Airstream restorations. His advise, support, and now use of tools has made this project much easier than it would have been otherwise. Frank, I am sure I am speaking for many other restorers when I say that you are the man.
Curb side all riveted back together. The banana wrap looks, eh, decent. I'm not going to be putting the interior skins back on right away, so I'll see how I feel about the wraps after I get back from Rob Baker's installation rally. I might end up drilling these rivets back out to install new wraps, but at least these will get me on the road.

9 comments:

Uber said...

I agree...Frank is 'da man...a true ambassador! I also love the fact you got the kids involved...my kid is currently getting covered with aluminmun dust from our polishing efforts.

John Kwasnik said...

I'm lucky I guess. I like my kids. I know so many people who don't want to be with their kids. Good on ya for getting your kids involved, too.

the byamcaravanner said...

Yes! Frank is 'da man, but his trailer is 2 feet short for him to be an Ambassador. LOL!

John, my boys love to see the picts of your kids helping out.

Nice progress!

Frank Yensan said...

John, It is the least I can do. I do not agree that I am a restoration ambassador. I am just one of many people that have fallen in love with this hobby. WE all need to help EACH OTHER and then we all benefit. If there is anything you need call right away.
how is the rivet supply holding out?

John Kwasnik said...

I'll have plenty of rivets left over. I'm hoping to be able to get the back and other side riveted on tonight. Hopefully the weather cooperates.

Anonymous said...

Can you explain the technique for buk riveting? DO I need to buy an air rivet gun or can it be done with my Sears hand rivet tool? Would you also mention what size rivits to buy?
Thanks you thank you!
Bill

Frank Yensan said...

john, how much do you make from those adds that now block your info from being seen? I think they are an annoying distraction from what you are presenting to your readers. Can it be moved to the side or bottom? even better would be to just remove them all together.
You do not have to publish this comment if you do not want.

John Kwasnik said...

I'm going to get rid of them. I started playing around with the blogger software one day and tried everything. I find it annoying as well.

John Kwasnik said...

Bill,
Bucking rivets refers to installing solid rivets. The sears rivet gun you have is probably a "pop" rivet gun what you squeeze and it pulls the rivet together to fasten whatever you're riveting together. When installing solid rivets, you need an air riveter. which is basically an air hammer, and a bucking bar. The bucking bar is a piece of steel that you hold against the back of the rivet and it acts like an anvil to "mushroom" the rivet and fasten your panels. In the post, my some is holding the bucking bar inside the trailer while I use the rivet gun outside.