Saturday, June 14, 2008

Cutting out the cancer.


I have worked 8 days in a row now. No big deal, but what bothers me is that I have not been able to get out to work on the trailer in all that time. Last night I decided I'd had enough. I needed to get out and work with my hands. It's therapy for me. No cranky customers, no needy employees, no doctors waiting on the line to talk to me. Just me, my tools, some tunes playing, and, if I'm lucky, one or two of my kids will come poking around looking to help. Here's what I did during my therapy session. Out came the sawzall and off came the back eighteen inches of frame. I had a boy on each end of the bumper holding it up as I cut. That frame section and bumper is heavy! I didn't realize it until I picked it up to bring it into the shop.
I had thought about just rebuilding what I've got, but since the bumper has to come off for the repair, I have decided to build this entire section out of new steel. You can see the cancer in the far frame rail. It's bad. Sorry about the crappy picture. It's about 10:00pm at this point, and I normally go to bed nice and early. I think I got tired.
The bumper is free from the frame. I used a cutting wheel on my angle grinder to cut through the welds. I'm thinking about making up an arrangement so that the bumper bolts to the frame when I get this all back together. You never know when you might snag a stone wall with your bumper or something pulling out of your driveway and have to repair it.
Everything marked so I know where things go next week when I build the new piece.

3 comments:

Frank Yensan said...

your right, you never know what you might snag pulling out... so right about that.

Rob & Zoe' Baker said...

Looking good. Glad that you were able to get it off. Once you get that repaired, you'll be installing that new flooring.

John Kwasnik said...

I pulled the "snag the wall" trick with my '86 thirty-two footer. That bumper was held on by bolts. So much easier to deal with.