Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Ready to stick on the stinger.

The rear frame is all built and ready to be welded to the original frame. I had some trimming of both the old frame and the new piece to do to make sure that everything ends up square. If I'd been more precise about cutting the old one off and building the new piece, I could have skipped that. Oh well. Live and learn. I had to jack up the body to get enough clearance to get the new piece in place and lined up.
There she is. In place and ready for the heat.
The gap between the rear skin and the frame had me concerned. Since the dimensions are exactly the same as the day it left the factory, I'm sure it's proper, and when I rivet the skin to the c-channel everything will come out alright.
This picture does not do justice to the absolute mess I made of my shop. It felt like I was walking around on sand from all the steel fragments generated during the cutting and grinding of steel. At least I didn't get anything in my eyes when all the sparks were flying. I've heard that can be bad.

2 comments:

Frank Yensan said...

and it can hurt too... you ass.

John Kwasnik said...

Wait... that was you that got metal in your eye? Oh yeah, I guess it was.